Get the Benefits You Deserve
Muscular dystrophy can be a nasty disorder, slowly robbing you of your strength and body control. If you’re suffering from it, it’s natural to feel helpless.
It’s gotten bad enough to make working impossible. That brings even more stress—how are you going to pay your bills?
Social Security Disability benefits can provide lifesaving help for people in your spot. The monthly checks can keep you from a financial downfall while you focus on the most important thing: your health.
Sadly, these disability benefits can be difficult to win. Most first-time claimants are denied.
You need help navigating what can be a baffling process. Guidance in a tough time.
Angelina Valle & Associates are here for you. Our experienced, compassionate disability attorneys know the system, and know how to win.
Call us today to get your case started.
How Muscular Dystrophy Can Force You Out of Work
At its root, muscular dystrophy is a disorder where abnormal genes interfere with proteins needed to form normal, healthy muscles. Your muscles become damaged and, over time, wither down.
Muscular dystrophy comes in two distinct forms:
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy: This is the most common type and is most prevalent in males. It can erode your motor skills, affecting the way you walk. It causes frequent falls, pain and stiffness, difficulty rising from seated or lying positions and learning disabilities.
- Becker muscular dystrophy: This is similar to Duchenne but takes longer to develop. Symptoms may not appear until a person is in his or her 20s or later.
Working can be impossible with either. The programs you could qualify for:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): This is for those who have worked a substantial amount before developing your health issue.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI): This is meant for those who have not been able to work and have limited income and resources.
We know you have questions. Our staff will have answers for you.
We’ll even evaluate your case at no charge.
Proving Your Claim to Social Security
To qualify for benefits with muscular dystrophy, you’ll have to prove one of the following scenarios:
Option 1: You have severe loss of muscle function in two extremities, causing extreme limitation in one of the following skills:
- Standing from a seated position
- Balancing while standing or walking
- Using your arms
Option 2: You have marked physical limitations along with problems in one of the following cognitive areas:
- Thinking, remembering, understanding or applying information
- Interacting with others
- Concentrating and completing tasks
- Managing emotions, taking care of oneself or handling change
And here’s what you’ll need to include in your application:
- DNA or blood enzyme tests
- Results from MRIs, CT scans, X-rays or other imaging tests
- Reports from your doctors
- Muscle biopsy results
- Nerve condition studies
- Reports from your physical therapy
- Lists of medications and their effects
We know this can be a confusing time. Let us help you.
If you’re struggling with muscular dystrophy in San Jose, Salinas, or anywhere in the Bay Area and you need disability benefits, get in touch with Angelina Valle & Associates today.
We can ease your burden—and give you the best chance to win.